Spicy Sautéed Collard Greens
Collard greens remind me of a childhood friend whose grandmother always cooked collards – fried, steamed, or boiled in soup. The smell is potent, but the nutrition is equally powerful.
- 1 bunch collards, washed and chopped into strips
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or hot peppers in oil
- salt and pepper
1. In a large pan, over medium-high heat steam the rinsed collards and water, covered for 3 to 5 minutes, shaking occasionally to prevent sticking.
2. Remove lid and add the olive oil, garlic and hot peppers.
3. Sautee for 5 -7 minutes until well wilted.
4. Season with salt and pepper and serve alongside a serving of fish or meat. Serves two.