Smoky Tomato, Fennel Soup
A bit of pancetta, peppery fennel, and a few drops of liquid smoke add a kick to a classic tomato soup.
– 1 tbsp. olive oil
– 1 large onion, finely chopped
– 2 tbsp. pancetta, finely chopped
– ½ bulb fennel, roughly chopped
– 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
– 4 cups canned tomato puree
– 3 drops liquid smoke
– Salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, sautéing until translucent. Add pancetta and sauté until browned. Add the fennel and continue cooking 5 minutes. Add stock and tomato puree, and liquid smoke. Cook until just coming to a boil. Then add salt and pepper and lower heat. Adjust consistency by adding more water or stock, if desired.
For protein, add a meatball or a few pieces of sausage.