Simple Tomato Sauce
Here is another tomato sauce recipe, similar to one my dad at home when we were kids growing up. It’s a worthwhile staple to have on hand for a quick sauce with any protein.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cans diced or whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp each dried oregano and basil
- Salt and pepper, and a pinch of hot pepper flakes
1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Saute onion, garlic, celery, and carrots for 5 to 10 minutes until softened.
3. Add canned tomatoes. Bring sauce to a simmer and continue cooking, without boiling, for 50 to 60 minutes.
3. Add meatballs, other vegetables, or fish.