Spicy Tomato Sauce
This sauce has a kick, but leave out the hot peppers if you prefer it mild. It helps make a quick meal out of fish, shrimp, sausage or meat.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 cans whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1-3 tsp hot pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, saute onions over medium heat until translucent. Add the tomatoes and white wine, and increase heat to medium-high.
- Once sauce comes just to boil, lower heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until it thickens. Add peppers, salt and pepper to taste.
- Let cool. Puree sauce to smooth, or if you prefer you can mash tomatoes just slightly. Serve 1 cup sauce over gilled sausage, a large meatball, or fried cod for a small meal.