Curried Sweet Potato Soup
There is nothing like curry spices to warm up your insides. This soup combines three ingredients that compliment one another perfectly – sweet potatoes, curry seasoning, and coconut milk. If you don’t have curry powder, you can combine cumin, turmeric, and ginger.
With the coconut milk, a little goes a long way – a half cup adds a significant amount of flavour and texture without too many calories per serving.
This recipe makes four servings.
– 1 tbsp. olive oil
– 2 medium onions, finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– I bunch green onions (white and pale green parts only), finely chopped
– 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
– 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced small
– 1 heaping tablespoon curry powder – mixed with ¼ cup water unto slurry.
– 4-5 cups chicken stock
– Salt and pepper
– ½ cup coconut milk
– ½ cup fresh cilantro
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and add onions. Sautee till translucent. Add garlic, green onions, and fresh ginger, and cook for 5 minutes. Add diced sweet potato and curry powder. Mix through. Add stock, turn heat to high, and bring to a boil. Lower heat back to medium, cover and continue cooking until sweet potato is tender. Cool. Puree and add coconut milk. Serves four, topped with fresh cilantro.